Texas Family Law- Texas Parental Rights and Duties- San Antonio Parent’s Rights
Parental Rights and Duties
It is important to understand what the Texas Family Code encompasses when discussing “Rights and Duties”. Chapter 151 of the Texas Family Code provides the following:
(a) A parent of a child has the following rights and duties:
- the right to have physical possession, to direct the moral and religious training, and to designate the residence of the child;
- the duty of care, control, protection, and reasonable discipline of the child;
- the duty to support the child, including providing the child with clothing, food, shelter, medical and dental care, and education;
- the duty, except when a guardian of the child’s estate has been appointed, to manage the estate of the child, including the right as an agent of the child to act in relation to the child’s estate if the child’s action is required by a state, the United States, or a foreign government;
- except as provided by Section 264.0111, the right to the services and earnings of the child;
- the right to consent to the child’s marriage, enlistment in the armed forces of the United States, medical and dental care, and psychiatric, psychological, and surgical treatment;
- the right to represent the child in legal action and to make other decisions of substantial legal significance concerning the child;
- the right to receive and give receipt for payments for the support of the child and to hold or disburse funds for the benefit of the child;
- the right to inherit from and through the child;
- the right to make decisions concerning the child’s education; and
- any other right or duty existing between a parent and child by virtue of law.
These rights and duties can be limited by the courts after testimony and evidence is presented in a hearing asking the court to limit these rights and duties. To get a better understanding as to the circumstances that may lead a court to limit such rights, it is best to talk to an attorney.
Want to find out more? Contact us now to schedule your consultation.